Saturday, December 12, 2009

Teenage Drivers x 2 (2009-May)

So, I am easy-going. If u know me, u probably have realized this about me. But last Monday, both of my teenagers got their drivers permits... Since then, everyday I come home, they greet me when I walk in. "Mom, where do u have to go today? Do u need to go to the store? ...I'll drive u there." First I thought it was great. Now I find myself regularly gripping the door handles, sitting in the passenger seat with every muscle tense, and shouting "BRAKES!" My oldest is 16 1/2 and she needs a lot of practice. My full attention has to be on her when she's at the wheel. The 15 1/2 year old is more steady. But occasionally, even he gives me cause to scream in my head, "NOOOO!!!" Huuuhhh... my back muscles are sore from all the tension. Will it ever end?

Tonight we went out to dinner. My son drove there. The other 4 kids were happily talking in the back seat, we took the freeway, i even sent out a few texts... It was nice. On the way home my daughter said, I get to drive home right? Immediate panic struck all of us. The younger kids were serious when they said, "Mom, Please no. We don't wanna die!" And I totally understood. I wanted to agree, but I explained that she needs opportunities to improve. I assured them that we would not go near the freeway (we took back roads home). It did strike me how differently the kids rersponded to the two teen drivers. My daughter had 4 lil backseat drivers. Even the 9 year old was like, "Red light.... speed limit is 45..." etc. I told them to let me coach her, but they were all very attentive to what was going on. Kinda funny.

No comments: