Saturday, December 12, 2009

Recalculating (2009-June)

On my recent trip to DC, I was in my new friend, Claudine's car listening as her GPS tried to navigate us thru a very confusing city. I couldn't number the amount of times we heard "RECALCULATING..." One of those times, my thoughts drifted... I reflected on my own life, and the numerous times I've realized that I'm on the wrong path to get where I want to be.
This hasn't been so easily handled as by the Garmin... one wrong turn and that thing is recalculating.... But in my life I've been several turns off before i realize I'm lost, or I end up somewhere I didn't intend because I got distracted and wasn't paying attention to where I was going.
Kind of like one Sunday when I was going to pick up my kids in Corona, and I was lost in thought... my brain's autopilot decided to take me to school instead.... I was in Menifee (15 minutes down the wrong freeway) before I realized...

Thank goodness, we too can recalculate! When you notice your path isn't taking you to where you want to go, you have a choice... You can try to figure it out yourself, making more mistakes in the process, or you can ask for help. Like Garmin's satellite view, God, can see things from a different perspective. He's got the arial view of the city. The only conflict then, becomes do you have too much pride to ask for directions? How off course do you need to be before you will finally put pride aside, and pull over?

Before asking for directions, you must know your destination. As the Cheshire Cat pointed out, if you don't care where you go, it really doesn't matter which road you take... Once you know where you're going, it will become more clear when you've taken a wrong turn and allow you to realign your path to your destination.

No comments: